Las Cruces: The District One office for New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) along with law enforcement will be monitoring roadways conditions throughout southern New Mexico as high winds are being reported along the I-10 corridor. Low visibility may occur intermittently as wind speeds increase into the evening hours. Motorists are encouraged to reduce speed, until conditions change.
Below are recommended driving tips.
· Slow down, be patient and drive safely
. Plan for extra travel time.
· Leave approximately 500 feet between your vehicle and a snowplow.
· Maintain at least a three-quarter full tank of gas. · Notify someone of your travel route, destination and projected arrival time.
· Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
· Brake slowly to avoid any panic braking or jerking the steering wheel. · Increase the distance between you and the traffic ahead.
· When pulling off the road, make sure you exit on to the shoulder far enough to where your vehicle is not on the road.
· Carry plenty of food and water and all necessary medications http://www.NMroads.com
Roadway notifications will be posted on the department’s web site www.NMroads.com, and can be retrieved by calling 511 in New Mexico or 1-800-432-4269 out of state.