Las Cruces: The District One office for the New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) has expanded their high winds advisory to all secondary routes in conjunction with the alert for the I-10 corridor. Motorists are encouraged to reduce speed until conditions change, as low visibility will impact traffic as strong winds increase as predicted by local meteorologists.
Below are recommended driving tips.
- Slow down, be patient and drive safely. Plan for extra travel time.
- Drivers of high-profile vehicles should be aware of weather conditions and travel at a safe reduced speed limit.
- Maintain at least a three-quarter full tank of gas.
- Notify someone of your travel route, destination and projected arrival time.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle.
- Brake slowly to avoid any panic braking or jerking the steering wheel.
- Increase the distance between you and the traffic ahead.
- When pulling off the road, make sure you exit on to the shoulder far enough to where your vehicle is not on the road.
- Carry plenty of food and water and all necessary medications.
- Avoid driving through dust storms.
Roadway notifications will be posted on the department’s web site www.NMroads.com, and can be retrieved by calling 511 in New Mexico or 1-800-432-4269 out of state.