Las Cruces – The New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) District One office has placed message boards alerting motorists of the Gila Bike Race. Law enforcement is in full force assisting with traffic control as the race continues through the weekend.
The race will require closures due to the large amount of cyclists competing this year. A closure is scheduled for Friday May 2nd from 8:45 am until 12:00 pm on NM 90 from mile mark 37 to 29. There are no scheduled closures for Saturday May 3rd. However, on Sunday May 4th NM 15 will be closed from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm from the "Y" in Pinos Altos to the intersection of NM15/NM 35 (mile marker 7-25).
With warm temperatures being reporting for this weekend, an increase of spectators is expected to visit Silver City in order to take part in this event.
Trent Doolittle, PE – NMDOT District One Engineer would like to share these safety tips for drivers during racing operations.
Rules for Motorists - Driving on roads requires care whether you are driving a car or a bicycle. The following are tips to help drivers Share the Road with bicyclists:
· Allow three feet of passing space between the right side of your vehicle and a bicyclist just as you would with a slow-moving vehicle. Maintain this distance even if there are designated bike lanes.
· Do not pass bicyclists if you will be making a right turn immediately afterward. Always assume bicyclists are traveling through the intersection.
· Before opening your car door, look for bicyclists who may be approaching.
· Do NOT pass bicyclists if oncoming traffic is near. Wait as you would with any slow-moving vehicle.
· Reduce your speed when passing bicyclists, especially if the roadway is narrow.
· Don't blast your horn when approaching bicyclists — you could startle them and cause an accident.
· Give bicyclists adequate space to maneuver. Recognize situations and obstacles which may be hazardous to cyclists, such as potholes, debris, and drain grates.
· Information regarding the race can be obtained through the following link www.tourofthegila.com .