SILVER CITY, NM; May 23, 2014 – Forest officials announce the 5,484-acre Signal Fire on the Gila National Forest is now 100 percent contained. As a result of the total containment, the area closure for the fire has been reduced.
Under the new fire area order #06-342, the following recreational sites are open:
· McMillan Campground
· Cherry Creek Campground
· Ben Lilly Memorial Observation Site
· Signal Peak Trailhead
· Woodhaul Wagon Road Trailhead
· Big Tree Trailhead
These roads and trails remain closed:
· Forest Road 154 (Signal Peak Road) at intersection of FR 4255G
· Forest Road 149 (Meadow Creek Road) at T16S, R13W, southeast corner Sec 4, approximately two miles from NM Hwy 15
· Forest Road 855A (Lockney Rd.)
· Signal Peak Trail #742 from Black Peak to Signal Peak
· Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDNST) #74 from Black Peak to the junction of FR 89
The closure order and map are posted on the forest website at http://tinyurl.com/p56bntv.
The human-caused fire started May 11, 2014 about 10 miles north of Silver City, NM. Around 100 personnel remain assigned to the incident to mop up hot spots and patrol firelines.
Signal Fire Information is posted on Inciweb, http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3864/