You are here: HomeNewsLocal News ReleasesUdall: NM to Receive $7.2 Million Reimbursement for Fire Fighting Efforts

Udall: NM to Receive $7.2 Million Reimbursement for Fire Fighting Efforts

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Tom Udall today announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is providing more than $7.2 million to New Mexico for the state’s recent fire suppression efforts in the 2011 Track and Donaldson fires.

“As New Mexico faces this ongoing drought, we are preparing for another potentially dangerous fire season,” said Udall. “These federal grants are critical in ensuring that our state has the resources it needs to combat the wildfires that threaten our homes and ways of life.”
The Forestry Division of the New Mexico Energy Mineral, and Natural Resource Department will receive two FEMA Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) reimbursements in the amounts of $4,050,328 and $3,173,028 for the Track and Donaldson fires, respectively.
In June 2011, the Track Fire burned almost 28,000 acres near Raton, N.M. and the Donaldson Fire burned over 101,500 acres south of Hondo, N.M.
Fire Management Assistance is available to states, local and tribal governments for the mitigation, management and control of fires on publicly or privately owned forests or grasslands, which threaten such destruction that would constitute a major disaster.
FMAG provides 75 percent of the federal cost share and the state pays the remaining 25 percent for documented costs incurred in firefighting, including personnel, equipment and fire suppression contracts.

Join GCB Three Times Weekly Updates

Welcome to Three Times Weekly Updates! You will be subscribed to email notifications with links to recently posted articles.
You can unsubscribe anytime. We never share or rent your email to anyone.

Fire Alerts

Editor's Note

Thanks for being a Beat reader!

The Beat is now posting legal notices for area governmental agencies. Check under the menu item Community to find Legals for what's happening in the area in the way of meetings and other legal notices.

You may have noticed a new blue button on the upper left side of most pages. It says Sponsor GCBTo help defray ever-increasing costs of the Beat and to prevent the requirement for paid subscriptions, the Beat is asking you to choose an amount you want to pay on a one-time or regular basis to SPONSOR a page or feature that you rely on. 

If you subscribe to the Join GCB Three Times Weekly Updates option on the left side of this page, you will be subscribed to email notifications with links to recently posted articles.

Comics are now available. As the editor, I chose my favorites first--B.C. and Wizard of Id. The Beat is seeking sponsors for these comics and for your favorites, too. Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for rates. 

Check Out Classifieds.

It's really easy to check to see if there's a classified ad. Just click on Classifieds in the blue menu and the page will open letting you know if there is a classified ad. Remember that your buying classified ads gives you a wide readership, as well as supporting the Beat.

Post YOURS for quick results!

Consider the Beat your DAILY newspaper for up-to-date information about Grant County. It's at your fingertips! One Click to Local News.

Thanks for your support for and your readership of Grant County's online news source—www.grantcountybeat.com.

Go to top