Silver City Fire Department was called to 1906 Lamina Loop this morning at 7:20 am for a report of a structure fire. Engine 12 arrived on scene with 4 personnel at 7:23 am with Captain Gutierrez taking command of the scene. Crews found heavy smoke and fire coming from a bedroom on the East side of a single-wide mobile home. Ladder 1 arrived on scene with 2 personnel. Firefighters made entry through the front door and made an offensive attack on the fire. Neighbors made contact with Captain Gutierrez, advising him that a father and daughter lived in the trailer, and they believed that they were home.
Firefighters immediately conducted a search of the residence and found an adult male unconscious in a hallway between the kitchen and bedroom on the West side of the residence. Firefighters immediately removed the patient from the residence and Silver City Fire Department Paramedics immediately began treating the patient. He was transported to Gila Regional Medical Center and is believed to be in stable condition. It was determined that his daughter was not home at the time of the incident and was out of state with family. Also removed from the residence was a dog, who was also found unconscious in the back bedroom. The dog was given oxygen therapy and with time regained consciousness and was given to family members. Fire Investigators determined that the area of origin was in the bedroom on the East side of the residence and the cause was an overloaded electrical outlet. Fire damage was significant in the East bedroom while the remainder of the residence sustained heat and smoke damage.
According to proud sister, Priscilla Lucero, her brother, Rick Chavez, was returning from feeding the family's horses at Tyrone Horseman's Association, saw the smoke coming from the mobile home, quickly drove to the Chevron station at Ridge Road and New Mexico highway 90, and asked the receptionist to call 911, which she did. He pounded on the home's doors, but there was no answer.