Santa Fe, NM – The Office of Superintendent of Insurance (OSI) New Mexico Auto Theft Prevention Authority (NMATPA) during this year’s 50th International Balloon Fiesta will be providing several auto theft prevention services. Along with the Albuquerque Police Department Auto Theft Unit and APD Real Time Crime Center, OSI NMATPA will be launching the Unit’s GPS Monitoring Services for registered balloon fiesta participants.
This service is provided for free to both local and visiting balloon pilots. The program provides participants piece of mind that their vehicles and equipment are protected 24 hours a day from theft. OSI NMATPA and APD Real Time Crime Center will be monitoring hundreds of deployed GPS units throughout the week. Interested pilots can sign up with OSI Criminal Division staff present at pilot registration.
In addition, OSI agents will be on hand during the week of festivities providing information to the public on auto theft prevention techniques and to be a part of saturation patrols in areas of heavy traffic activities. The OSI NMATPA wants to let people know that there are many “no cost” or “low cost” steps that vehicle owners can take to protect themselves, their automobiles, and their belongings:
- Lock goods and valuables in the trunk of the vehicle if you are not taking them with you - Close all windows and sunroofs
- Make sure your vehicle is locked; never leave the car running and unattended
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas
- Be aware of your surroundings, look around and make note of what you see
- If confronted by a thief don’t resist; cars can be replaced, but you cannot
- Get your vehicles identification number (VIN) etched on each of the windows; this is a free service that the OSI NMATPA unit provides at many events throughout the year
- Invest in anti-theft locking devices (ignition cut-off devices, alarms, sensors, and/or tracking devices) Following are the top 10 most stolen vehicles in New Mexico according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau: 1. Ford Pick Up (Full Size) 2. Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size) 3. Hyundai Elantra 4. Dodge Pick Up (Full Size) 5. Hyundai Sonata 6. GMC Pick Up (Full Size) 7. Kia Motors 8. Honda Civic 9. Honda Accord 10. Nissan Altima