The Silco's new marquee brightens Bullard Street.
Photos and Article by Charlie McKee
On Thursday evening, Jan. 9, Silver City MainStreeet honored PNM utility company for its instrumental role in funding the new, yet classic, marquee for the Silco Theater in historic downtown Silver City. The event was held in the lobby of the Silco, which will soon be undergoing major refurbishing.
The new marquee, which is a 1923 art deco design featuring a copper and silver color scheme resonating with Silver City's essence, is the first step in the renovation of the landmark theater on Bullard Street. The renovation is anticipated to restore a piece of Silver City's history, while bringing movies and other entertainment to the downtown area.
PNM donated $23,956 to the design and construction of the marquee, and RAM Studio Signs built and installed the marquee in a record two-week timeframe. Chris Aquino filmed the installation, and attendees viewed the film in the lobby of the Silco. In the film, the Silco's renovation architect David Vesica stated that "this is a community-oriented project [which is] historically reinstating Silver City's cultural heritage."
The evening's event also included entertainment by the Barbershop Quartet, "Spare Parts," and Silver City Mayor James Marshall presented a Certificate of Appreciation to PNM's representative, Bruce Ashburn.
At right, the Spare Parts Quartet (l to r): Karen Fisher, tenor; Bryce Wooton, lead; John Brinker, bass; and Jim McQuaide, baritone.
Below, Silver City Mayor James Marshall, at left, presents Certificate of Appreciation to PNM's Bruce Ashburn, at right.